Windows 7 Update Service
Windows Update Service is a feature which allows the windows 7 operating system to download important system updates from Microsoft. It retrieves new updates from Microsoft Update Server through internet. This is known as Windows Update Service. Windows update is a tool used to manage software updates on a computer running windows 7. Windows update features allows the user to download important system updates from Microsoft. A user who has administrative privileges can check for new software updates, install new updates, review the updates that are already installed and review the hidden updates.
Steps to check the updates manually:
- Click ‘Control panel’ – ‘System and security’- ‘Windows Update’ and select ‘Check for update’ option under ‘Windows update console’.
- When we click on ‘Check for updates button, computer contacts the update source to check for updates. Update source can be the Microsoft update server on the internet or a local update Server.
- After completing the ‘check for updates’ process, Windows update lists all the available updates that can be installed on your computer.
Three different types of updates are available:
- Important updates: Addresses critical security issues.
- Recommended updates: Addresses functionality issues.
- Optional updates: Provides driver updates and language packs.
Configure Windows update:
- Click ‘Start’ – ‘Control panel’ – ‘System and security’ – ‘Windows updates’. Click ‘Change settings’ in the left panel of the windows update window. The change settings dialog box will appear. We can configure windows update by setting the options given in the “Change settings’ dialogue box
- Important updates: It determines how important updates are available on your computer.
Install updates automatically – Windows update installs the update automatically at the specific time scheduled by the user.
Download updates but let me choose whether to install them – Windows update downloads the update and user determines the updates that will be installed.
Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them – Windows checks the updates and wait for the user request for downloading and installing the updates.
Never check for updates – Windows never check the updates automatically. You can check for and install updates manually.
- Who can install updates: This option determines which user is allowed to install updates. We can select ‘Allow all users to install updates on this computer option’.
- Microsoft Updates: This setting determines whether Microsoft product updates and new optional Microsoft software needed to install when you update your windows.
- Software notifications: Enables to get detailed notification when new software is available.
- Click on ‘View update history’ in the left panel of windows update to get detailed information about the installed updates. It displays the list of all updates that are installed successfully and unsuccessfully.
To uninstall an update:
- Click ‘Installed update’ in the left pane of Windows update control panel and select ‘Uninstall program’.
- Select the update that you want to uninstall and click ‘Uninstall/Change’ link. Only the user who is the member of local administrator group can uninstall an update.
Configuring Windows update policy:
- Click ‘Start’ – ‘Computer configuration’ – ‘Administrative templates’ – ‘Windows component’ – ‘Windows update’. The group policies for windows update will be displayed.
- Select ‘Configure automatic updates’ – Select ‘Enable’ – ‘Apply’ – ‘Ok’.
- Select ‘Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location’. Specify the server name of the Windows update server on the local intranet. Click on ‘Apply’ – ‘Ok’.
- Go to run. Type ‘gpupdate’ – ‘Ok’.
Configure windows update: This policy setting determines whether automatic updates are enabled on your computer.
Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location: If this policy is enabled, the automatic updates of your client computer connects to specified intranet Microsoft update service, instead of windows update server on the internet to download updates.