How to Create a Windows 7 Home Network
The Home group:
Home group is a new feature in windows 7 which allows you to connect to other computers and also allows you to share music, pictures, documents, printers and other files with other computers. Home group cannot be created on a Domain network. We can allow other computers on home group to modify our files o make them read only. You can set permissions for other users to access your files.
Steps to create a Home group:
1. You require minimum 2 computers on the same network.
2. Click ‘Start’ and select ‘control panel’. In control panel select ‘Network and Internet’ and click on choose ‘Home group and sharing’. This will display the home group window.
3. Click the ‘Create a Home group’ button. The Create Home group window will appear. Now select the check box for which items you want to share and click ‘Next’. Then it opens a window with password information to other computers.
4. You have to use this same password to add other computers to your network. You can also click on ‘Print password and instruction’ and give this password to other computers running windows 7 on the network to join your Home group.
5. Click ‘Finish’ to complete the creation process.
Note: When a computer is connected to the home network where you created your home group, windows 7 prompts you that there is Home group available to join.
Steps to Join a Home group which is already created:
1. Click ‘Start’ – ‘Control Panel’ – ‘Network and Internet’ – ‘Home group’. The Home group window will appear.
2. Click ‘Join now’ button to join your Home group. The join a Home group wizard will appear.
3. On the join a Homepage window, select the items that you want to share with other computer and click ‘Next’.
4. Enter the Home group password that you got from the person who created the Home group and click on ‘Join now’ button.
5. If you want to leave the home group, open the Home group item in the ‘Network and sharing center’ and then click ‘Leave the Home group’ option.
Sharing Data in your home group:
1. Type ‘compmgmt.msc’ in start search box, click on ‘Shares’ under ‘Shared folders’.
2. Right click on shares node and click ‘New share’. Then it will open ‘Create a shared folder’ wizard.
3. Click ‘Next’ and specify the folder which you want to share. After entering the folder path ‘Create a shared folder’ wizard appears. Enter ‘share name, share path & description’ to specify how users see and use this shared folder over a network and click ‘Next’.
4. Set the appropriate permission that you want for the shared folder.
5. Click ‘Finish’ so that the sharing completes.
Sharing a printer in your Home group:
1. Click ‘Start’ – ‘control panel’- ‘Hardware and sound’- ‘Devices and printers’.
2. Locate the printer and right click the printer which you want to share. Select ‘Printer properties’.
3. Click ‘Sharing ‘tab of the printer properties and enable the ‘Share this printer’ option.
4. To add additional drivers for the printer, Click ‘Additional drivers’.
5. Click ‘Apply’- ‘Ok’.
Stop or change folder sharing:
1. Open windows explorer. Select the folder and right click the folder for which you want to stop sharing. Select ‘Share with’ and select ‘Nobody’. The sharing wizard will appear.
2. Click ‘Change sharing permissions. This will allow you to change the existing permissions.
3. To stop sharing permission, click ‘Stop sharing’ option from share wizard.
You can assign three different kinds of permissions:
1. Owner permissions: For the user who shared the folder.
2. Read permissions: Allows the user to access files in the shared folder but not to delete or modify them.
3. Write permissions: Allows the user to read, add, delete and modify the files in the shared folder.