Application Compatibility in Windows 7
That software’s which worked fine in previous version of Windows is unable to function in Windows 7. This is called as Application Compatibility issue. This happens when the administrator tries to migrate earlier Windows client operating system to Windows 7. There are many methods in which Application Compatibility issue could be resolved.
Program Compatibility Trouble-shooter:
The program compatibility trouble-shooter in windows 7 is a tool that automatically selects compatibility settings to run the applications in earlier versions of Windows mode. Operating system detects the compatibility problem and determines the solution to resolve the problem while troubleshooting the issue. Once the operating system has fixed the compatibility issue, it remembers the solution and will prevent the same issue from occurring in future. Program compatibility trouble-shooter cannot troubleshoot installation of .MSI format and is applicable only for executable files.
Built in Compatibility modes and option:
Windows 7 provides several built in compatible modes that configure application to run using settings which provide earlier Windows operating system Environment. The steps to configure compatibility mode for any application are as follows:
1. Select the ‘setup file’ of the application, right click on it. Click ‘Properties’.
2. In ‘Properties’ window, select the environment for your application in the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
3. Click ‘Apply’ — ‘Ok’.
Application Compatibility Toolkit:
Application Compatibility Toolkit is a collection of tools that allow you to resolve application compatibility issues. This tool determines if existing applications are compatible with Windows 7 before migrating to new operating system. The features of Application Compatibility Toolkit are:
1. Application Compatibility Manager
2. Application Compatibility Administrator
3. Internet Explorer Compatibility Test Tool
4. Setup Analysis Tool
5. Standard User Analyzer
Application compatibility Manager:
It is used to configure, collect, analyze and test the compatibility data to resolve any kind of compatibility issue which occurs when you deploy a new operating system in your organization. Application Compatibility manager communicates with Microsoft SQL server database which stores all the data.
Application Compatibility Administrator:
It helps you to resolve large number of compatibility issues before deploying new windows to your organization. Compatibility Administrator provides a set of compatibility fixes and compatibility modes that can be used to resolve compatibility issues with particular applications. Compatibility fix is a piece of software which stops application programming interface calls from applications and modifies these application to run to run on Windows 7 platform.
Internet Explorer Compatibility tool:
It helps in testing the compatibility problems of websites which will display on the Internet Explorer 8. The steps to use Internet Explorer toolkit are:
1. Go to ‘Start’ – ‘All programs’ – ‘Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit’ – ‘Developer and test tools’ – ‘Internet Explorer Compatibility test tool’ – ‘Enable’.
2. Open ‘Internet Explorer’ and it will inform you that compatibility tool is enabled.
3. Now you can open the website and web applications that you want to test.
Internet Explorer Compatibility Toolkit tests the site that you visit and keeps all the information about compatibility issue related with specified websites and web applications.
Setup Analysis Tool:
Setup Analysis Tool detects the compatibility issue that can occur during the installation and configuration of an application. Setup Analysis Tool detects and monitors the action taken by application installer and checks their compatibility issues.
Standard User Analyzer:
It determines whether the User Account Control causes any compatibility issue while deploying new Operating system in your organization. The Standard User Analyzer provides data about problematic files, processes, registry keys, .ini files and other related items that are used by the applications that might cause problems while successfully running on Windows 7.
Steps to install Application Compatibility Toolkit:
1. Download Application Compatibility Toolkit from the below link:
3. Run the downloaded toolkit. In ‘Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit’ wizard click ‘Next’. Accept the license agreement and click ‘Next’. The Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit wizard opens to enter the destination path. Enter the destination path and click ‘Next’.
4. Click ‘Install’ to start the installation process. You can view the tools on start menu of the computer once the installation process completes.
Steps to configure Application Compatibility Toolkit:
1. Click on ‘Start’ – ‘All programs’ – ‘Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit’ – ‘Application Compatibility Manager’. Click ‘Next’ to select the configuration wizard.
2. Select the appropriate configuration option. Select ‘Enterprise configuration’ – click ‘Next’.
3. Enter the name of the SQL server and the name for the database and click ‘Create’ button.
4. Click ‘Next’ – ‘Finish’. (Note down the log file location of your machine).
A quick way to learn all of the new features in Windows 7 is to take a course. Many colleges run short courses such as award winners City and Islington in London. There are also a number of training organisations which deliver 1 day Microsoft courses. Designed primarily for businesses, these are a quick way to get employees skilled in the use of Windows 7. Paul Brown Associates are a UK based National training Company and run an in house Windows 7 training course. This type of training is normally more expensive than a college course but has the advantage of teaching skills quickly.